Sunday, March 2, 2008

What? Are you nuts?

I've been thinking about what recipes to post. Many of my recipes come from cookbooks or magazines that continually multiply in our kitchen. Some of the recipes I have gotten from family members, especially my mom. She is a great cook, although she doesn't cook as much as she used to, which is too bad.  


The first recipe I'll post is one I make every year, mostly between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I suppose that's because my mom made it at that time, too.  The holiday time was always a big baking time in our house.  I don't know why I don't make this other times of the year. It's easy and very good. I never bring it to work because I usually eat it all before it makes it to the car!


Warning: This recipe may contain nuts!  If you have an allergy to nuts, stay out of the way and leave your share for those of us who don't.



Peanut Brittle

1 C white corn syrup
2 C sugar
1/2 C water
2 C raw peanuts
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda


  1. Grease a jelly roll pan and set it a side.
  2. Boil the syrup, sugar and water until the syrup threads or forms a hard ball in cold water.
  3. Add 2 cups of raw peanuts and cook until golden brown.
  4. Remove from the heat and stir in the salt and soda until mixed.  Pour the mixture onto the jelly roll pan.
  5. Let it cool thoroughly before you handle it.



Hints:
  • If you have a candy thermometer, lucky you!  Use it! I don't have one, so I do it the old fashioned way.  Be very careful with this mixture. 
  • When you add the salt and soda the mixture will lighten up and foam like crazy.  The object is to pour the mixture onto the jelly roll pan while you have some bubbles. It will make a thicker, lighter and crispier brittle. Mmmmm...Have the pan ready. This step goes fast.
  • I think you could try this with cashews, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment